I told y’all there would be a lot of strawberries this season! Not going to lie, that Vanilla Bean Strawberry Jam didn’t last long in my house! I also made a pie, because I am on my mission to learn everything about pies this year. I wrote this recipe for Baked Strawberry Pie originally for Food Fanatic. But what I really want to talk about is you. Yes, Y-O-U and how thankful I am for each and every one of you! Seriously. This whole blogging life can be a real mixed bag, let me tell ya. I wouldn’t trade it for anything or go back, but anytime I get a little peeved at something or down about something, I remember how much I love to talk with each of you! Every comment, tag, email, high five (virtual or IRL) is the greatest! It really is. I seriously feel so grateful each time I get to post and share with every one of you. It is truly a blessing and something that has changed my life immeasurably! Life changes, job changes, living changes, friend changes, boyfriend changes, all of it. Y’all have stuck through it, so thank you from the bottom of my little heart. I wish I could send each one of you one of these pies, but alas! So I made you a really easy recipe and some pretty pictures to help walk you through it. Make one for someone you are grateful for. Your momma, your bestie, your roommate… whoever! Go now! Truly being grateful and thankful has changed the way I operate everyday and best of all it has made me 100% a happier and healthier person. If I could give you all anything, well besides pie, it would be the gift of being grateful.
Classic Strawberry Pie
Makes one 9in Pie
2 lbs fresh strawberries
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold water
7 tablespoons cold butter
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut butter into cubes and place in freezer for 5 minutes to get cold.
- Using a fork, stir butter cubes into flour mixture until well coated.
- Add water and use hands to work dough into a ball.
- Place dough in the freezer for 15 minutes to get cold again.
- Work dough until smooth on a floured surface. Separate into two equal parts.
- Roll out each dough ball until as thin as a penny.
- Set aside.
- Dice strawberries removing tops.
- Combine strawberries with sugars, lemon juice, salt and cornstarch in a large pot.
- Heat over medium until sugar dissolves.
- Let filling sit and cool for 15 minutes.
- Press one pie crust into a pie pan. Fill with strawberry filling.
- Cover with remaining pie crust. You can use a lattice design or cover and cut a few slits. Pinch edges together.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove foil and drop oven temperature to 350 degrees and finish baking for about 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.