If you’re anything like me, then chances are this week actually marks the start of all those healthy eating resolutions. Am I right? Instead of totally sacking all your New Year’s Resolutions, how about we round up some great healthy Austin restaurants where you can get a delicious meal, eh? These spots range from drive-thru (yes they exist!) to grocery stores to sit down places that are perfect for a lunch meeting or a good dinner.
1. True Food Kitchen– Trendy, sleek and always bustling. I love True Food Kitchen because not only is it healthy, it feels like a real treat when you’re dining out. True Food Kitchen is located downtown in the Seaholm complex and it is great for lunch and dinner.
2. Vinaigrette– If fancy salads are you’re thing then Vinaigrette is your place. They also have an array of “healthy” cocktails and some heartier sandwiches if you need some carbs in your life. The Pepita and Kale Cesar are two of my favorites.
3. Elizabeth Street Café– This colorful spot has long been one of my favorite Austin restaurants and one I still highly recommend to friends and people in town. While I love indulging in ESC’s everything cream cheese stuffed croissant and the spicy Singapore Noodles, their menu is also full of veggie and lighter options. Their big bowls of pho will cure whatever ails you and the octopus salad and spring rolls are full veggies and flavor.
4. Leaf– These are my absolutely favorite salads in Austin! I can’t enough of their Cobb. While parking can be an issue, if you’re downtown, this is one of my top spots for getting some greens into your day. I only wish they were open during the evenings and weekends.
5. Flower Child– One of the newer additions to The Domain and it’s a great place to fuel up with some gorgeous and fresh food before a day of shopping or a post-sweat session at Soul Cycle. From avocado toast to juice to salad, they’ve got you covered.
6. Boiler Nine– You might not think about Boiler Nine for healthy options, because that burger y’all, but there are lots of great options here if you just give them a chance. I love this spot for lunch surprisingly but it is also great for dinner. Lots of green salads and you can pick your protein.
7. Whole Foods– No shockers here but of course Whole Foods made the list! To me, Whole Foods flagship is way more than a grocery store. It’s a community hub and an easy place to grab coffee and tacos or of course, the salad bar. The key here is not indulging too much but there are great healthy options and one of my mainstays for veggies for in my 12 years + in Austin.
8. Blenders & Bowls– You can hardly scroll through Instagram for more than 5 minutes without a gorgeous smoothie bowl popping up on your feed. And in Austin there is no better place to get your fix than Blenders & Bowls. Açai, pitaya, blueberries, goji berries, you name it and Blenders & Bowls has it.
9. Soup Peddler– Another standby for me: Soup Peddler. It’s been around as long as I can remember and I’m pretty crazy about their Green Monster smoothie. I usually add blueberries and flax, that’s my secret sauce. I’m also a sucker for their pesto and provolone grilled cheese with tomato basil soup. But if I am trying to keep it healthy, I’ll go for one of the broth based soups.
10. Café No Se– If there was ever a spot for Millenial Ladies That Lunch then this would definitely be it. From the airy, sunshine filled restaurant to the array of salads, bowls and mounds of avocados, Café No Se makes eating healthy a breeze. If you can’t find parking, the hotel has free valet for 3 hours.
11. The Steeping Room– Way more than just tea, but they are definitely the experts if you’re looking for tea in Austin. The sandwiches, salads, bowls, and almost everything on the menu can be made vegan or gluten-free. And their menu is mostly just healthy anyways so dig in.
12. Juice Society– This juice shop offers way more than just juice. They also serve up all sorts of toasts and chia seed bowls and their own blend of granola. A perfect spot to pull up a chair and work for a while in their sleek South Lamar shop.
13. Picnik– I’ve been loving on this paleo concept since it was just a food truck on South Lamar. Now Picnik’s new shiny home on Burnet is offering up a bigger menu with lots of delicious things like their loaded guacamole, Cobb salad and fish of the day. If you’re sweet tooth is itching, their Blondie Ice Cream sandwich is something I still dream about.
14. Baby Greens– Austin’s beloved salad drive-thru is back! And they are celebrating their grand re-opening with a 28-day healthy challenge full of healthy tips, recipes and even free classes at local workout studios.
15. Forthright Café– You might miss this spot downtown if you’re not looking for it. Tucked into the business building right next to the Four Season, Forthright Café is serving up fresh salads in a bright spot. You’ll have to catch this place for breakfast, lunch and brunch.
16. Koriente– Another long-time Austin favorite, Koriente is a great spot for healthy eats and nutritious bowls. I love their bimibamp, not sure if it’s because it has an egg or because it’s fun to say. They have lots of great veggie and gluten-free options on their calorie conscious menu.
17. Thai Fresh– I love Thai Fresh’s neighborhood vibe and their tom kha soup is probably my favorite in Austin. They also have an impressive spread of homemade non-dairy ice creams as well as salads and noodle bowls. They are super picky about the meat they use, so that makes me feel great about the food I eat there.