Ever since the arrival of Warren, I have been all about the cookies! Before he was born, I made a big batch of these Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies and froze them so I could pop a few into the oven and have a warm chocolate chip cookie whenever I wanted. However, after he arrived and I started breastfeeding, I was hangry. I was craving something a little sweet but wanted it to have some substance and balance. So BMW and I created this recipe for chocolate chip cookies that have milk production boosting oats and brewer’s yeast and pecans for some good fats and protein. And of course, these cookies are delicious!
Homemade Lactation Cookies That Are Actually Delicious
Lots of people who breastfeed use lactation cookies to help boost milk supply. There are lots of supplements and pre-packaged cookies out there on the market. I wanted something that I could make at home that was fresh, actually tasted good and I knew exactly what was going into it. When my mom came to visit us, she brought me several big oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and they were so delicious and of course the oatmeal started helping me produce more milk. Once I had devoured all the cookies she brought, I wanted to make more cookies.
My friend Tyler had given me some brewer’s yeast since that had helped her produce more milk. BMW and I decided it would be a good idea to add the brewer’s yeast into our oatmeal cookie recipe. We made the cookies with and without the brewer’s yeast, for taste testing purposes of course, and the yeast doesn’t affect the taste so you can make these without it if you’re not trying to make milk 😉 They are delicious either way! BMW loves these cookies too.
You Might Also Love
Makes 24 cookies
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour (227 grams)
2 cups oats (160 grams)
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp brewers yeast* optional
½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt (fine)
¾ tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 oz bittersweet chocolate chunks (chopped well)
8 oz semi sweet mini chocolate chips
2/3 cup pecans (chopped small)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Whisk flour, oats, baking soda and brewers yeast together in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Mix granulated sugar, light brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon with a spatula in a large bowl.
- Add in eggs until just blended and then add vanilla.
- Pour half the melted butter into the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Then add in remaining melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine until there are no flour pockets.
- Mix in all of the chocolate and pecans and mix until spread evenly throughout.
- Create dough balls (I use a small ice cream scooper) about 1 inch around and place on baking sheet with plenty of room in between.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating half way through. Let cool slightly to set then enjoy!
Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.